Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Not receiving all packets in promincuous mode

From: "Anders Broman" <a.broman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 06:55:37 +0200
Hi,
See
http://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup/WLAN?action=show&redirect=CaptureSetu
p_2fWLAN
--- quote --
Windows
Capturing WLAN traffic on Windows depends on WinPcap and on the underlying
network adapters and drivers. Unfortunately, most drivers/adapters support
neither monitor mode, nor seeing 802.11 headers when capturing, nor
capturing non-data frames.
Promiscuous mode can be set; unfortunately, it's often crippled. In this
mode many drivers don't supply packets at all, or don't supply packets sent
by the host.
If you experience any problems capturing packets on WLANs, try to switch
promiscuous mode off. In this case you will have to capture traffic on the
host you're interested in.
If anybody finds an adapter and driver that do support promiscuous mode,
they should mention it at the bottom of this page, for the benefit of other
users.
See MicroLogix's list of wireless adapters, with indications of how well
they work with WinPcap (Wireshark uses WinPcap to capture traffic on
Windows), for information about particular adapters.
Useful video to set up packet capture on wireless using Windows bridging:
http://www.micro-logix.com/WinPcap/howtonetworkbridge.avi
-- end quote --
Regards
Anders