Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Reading from a large trace file

From: Sake Blok <sake@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 19:35:26 +0200
Neither Wireshark nor Tshark will help you out here. They use the
same engine. The problem is that the engine keeps state-information
on each session. As it is an analyser tool that wants to give you
as much information as possible, it does not flush data when a
session is ended.

This means the memory footprint will keep growing as more of the
large file is read.

If all you need is basic statistics, then "ntop" might be a
better tool for you, it focusses more on quantitative information
while wireshark focusses more on qualitative information.

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
    Sake