Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Fwd: sequence number and packet id

From: "Fabiana moreno" <fvmoreno@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 20:30:34 +0100
thanks but i did some research already about the subject...
this is what i found...

http://www.freesoft.org/CIE/RFC/1889/9.htm
sequence number: 16 bits
The sequence number increments by one for each RTP data packet sent, and may be used by the receiver to detect packet loss and to restore packet sequence. The initial value of the sequence number is random (unpredictable) to make known-plaintext attacks on encryption more difficult, even if the source itself does not encrypt, because the packets may flow through a translator that does. Techniques for choosing unpredictable numbers are discussed in [7].
So i might be wrong, but i dont think sequence number represent how much data is being sent.

On 12/04/2008, Hansang Bae <hbae@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Fabiana moreno wrote:

> I am streaming with darwin streaming server and capturing with
> wireshark, i just wanted to know if what i am getting in my captures as
> sequence number is my packet id?
>
> thanks

sequence numbers represent how much data has been sent.  nothing more.

--

Thanks,
Hansang