Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] packet id 0 ???

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 13:35:15 -0700
Fabiana moreno wrote:
oh...well the machine where the darwin streaming is running is linux. fedora 8 distribution...

You should probably ask the Fedora people how to get the IP stack to add an IP ID (assuming the Darwin Streaming Server isn't doing something weird such as using a raw socket and constructing its own IP headers).

but i think every packet should have an id, or am i wrong?

I was surprised when I saw your trace, but, when I looked at RFC 791, it didn't seem to prohibit leaving the IP ID as 0 for packets with "don't fragment" set, and the only thing RFC 1122 says about the identification field is

When sending an identical copy of an earlier datagram, a host MAY optionally retain the same Identification field in the copy.

so there's nothing I can see that would require that, even for packets with "don't fragment" set, packets not all be given the same ID value.