Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] RTP statistics plug-in and bug query

From: "Ji Zhang" <Ji.Zhang@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 11:28:42 +0100

Hi all,

I’m trying to use the RTP statistics tool to analyse a VoIP stream over Wifi. I found that the RTP statistics tool calculated the RTP packet loss rate based on: the number of retransmitted RTP packets / the total number of captured RTP packets. Since the trace was captured over the air, RTP packets got retransmitted from time to time at the 802.11 link, but it didn’t necessarily mean the retransmitted RTP packets got lost eventually. I think the correct way to determine a RTP packet loss case over Wifi is to see if a RTP packet gets acked at 802.11 eventually. Does any plug-in/update of Wireshark support this?

Also, the RTP statistics tool seems not to be able to recognize UDP checksum error packets, as a corrupted RTP packet with a wrong sequence number caused all the following correct RTP packets counted as sequence errors. Is this a bug?

Kind regards,

Ji