Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Shorter RTT

From: "Visser, Martin" <martin.visser@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 02:27:01 +0000
The significance totally depends on your application - if it was Voice over IP, it would be unusable.

RTT, which is basically the sum of inbound and outbound delay/latency has a number of components. One of these will be the serialisation delay, basically the delay to push all those bits one at a time through the the pipe. Your data rate will impact that. Other delays such as server processing, router hop, queing delay will not be impacted by data rate.

Martin Visser

Technology Consultant
Technology Solutions Group

410 Concord Road
Rhodes NSW  2138
Australia

Mobile: +61-411-254-513
Fax: +61-2-9022-1800
E-mail: martin.visserAThp.com

This email (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may contain information that is confidential, proprietary or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify HP immediately by return email and then delete the email, destroy any printed copy and do not disclose or use the information in it.