Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Getting traffic from entire network

From: Trevor Bosaw <bosawt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 23:31:48 -0700
Hey,

I am currently doing research using Wireshark to detect packet data. Up to this date I have been doing this all on a single computer. Instead I would like to collect more 'real world' data, and receive packets from all of the computers on my network. Is this possible?

It is a small network, with only a single modem connected to a single wireless router (an Airport Extreme). There are about a dozen computers connected wirelessly to this router.

I guess my question is, is there some way to set a computer connected to the router or modem that can run wireshark and capture the traffic from all of these computers on the network? I have thought of possibly somehow connecting the modem to my computer and then my computer to the airport extreme, and bridging the connection or something, but I am not sure how to do this (especially since there is only one ethernet input on the computer).

My budget is fairly high, so if there is something else I need to purchase to do this, that is a possibility.

-Thanks