Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] TCP Dup Ack

Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 07:40:30 -0700
Roland,
A couple of things I noticed:

You mention 'several customers'. That makes individual machine problems
less likely, although still possible. You still need to rule them out
because that's easy - but I disagree with James' advice to exhaust your
local options before engaging the carriers. Carrier problems are more
common than they like to admit. More problems are caused by 'working as
designed' rather than 'working as desired'.

Assuming you have solid local file transfers, consider round trip delay -
VPNs over public networks are, or should be notorious for erratic round
trip delay. This could be a case of localized congestion and you'll never
find it without help from the carriers.  Also check your firewall tunnels
- the firewalls should be able to give you dropped/delayed packet
information for the tunnel. Trying to diagnose a tunnel from the inside is
frankly a waste of time. Of course, unless you have a QOS guarantee from
end to end and traffic stays on one carrier's network the entire time
there's little that can be done to reduce the retries without
renegotiating the contract. Internet traffic delivery is best effort.

There are still a few things you can do. Easiest is to adjust the TCP
timeout/retry counters on the machines involved. Yes, it's a registry hack
on Windows, but that's just poor design on Microsoft's part. You can have
them reconsider the file transfers - time them during a slow part of the
day (night), or reduce the amount of data involved. Otherwise renegotiate
with your carrier. I had a customer last year (Internet VOIP provider) who
had similar problems. Their carrier insisted the problem was on our end,
and it took a long time to prove otherwise. They were jacking traffic all
over the place, with different kinds of traffic going in different
directions. The VOIP traffic sometimes went through San Jose, and that
particular circuit was saturated by the after-school crowd resulting in
audio fuzz, echo and dropped calls. We finally found this with, IIRC
What's Up! Gold (to trace the connection to the VOIP services at the other
end), comparing with traceroute at the same time. When we brought in
another carrier they admitted they could upgrade our class of service,
just that it would cost more.

Randy Grein
Network Engineer

"Roland Volz" <rvolz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wireshark-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
06/04/2007 01:10 PM
Please respond to
rvolz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; Please respond to
Community support list for Wireshark <wireshark-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

<wireshark-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[Wireshark-users] TCP Dup Ack

I have a couple of customers that have been complaining of issues on their
circuits, an issue that causes them to have problems with large file
transfers. The only noteworthy problems in their data streams seem to be
TCP Dup Acks – I’ve seen as many as sixty, or over a hundred, in file
transfers of 100 MB test files. However, as near as I can determine, these
errors are being introduced in the Internet, outside of our network (the
customers use VPNs over internet circuits with major carriers for these
file transfers).

As I said, we’ve tested our own network thoroughly, but I’m at a loss as
to where to go with this issue. Obviously, telling the customer, “It’s not
our fault” is unacceptable, as that doesn’t move them any closer to
error-free file transfers. On the other hand, I’m not sure where to tell
the carriers’ help desk technicians to look for the source of this issue.
Has anyone seen this before on Internet circuits, and is there some way I
can use Wireshark to help pinpoint the issue more specifically than
telling the carrier, “It’s in your cloud”?

Thanks,

Roland Volz
Network Engineer
Data Access/Datapatch, Inc.