Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Writing/sharing dissectors

From: "Kobboi" <kobboi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 11:53:52 +0200 (CEST)
> Kobboi wrote:
>> Is already having a working Linux system any help in my attempt to
>> obtain a Win32 DLL or do I really have to follow the 100% Win32 way of
>> Section 2.2?
>>
> Well, I never heard of a cross compiled Win32 WS plugin build under Linux.
>
> I guess it's best to do yourself a favour and do it the "Win32 way" -
> that'll safe you a lot of time IMHO.

I was thinking in the direction of Wine, but I'll followed your
recommendation and tried to do it with the Developer's Guide.

Building works fine, actually *using* the plugin/binary doesn't. I have
tried two possible situations and they both have been a topic in this
mailing list earlier. However I wasn't able to find an answer in the
archive.

1) My compiled binary + my compiled DLL

My plugin is listed in the About->Plugins section. Capturing fails
however. First a "Can't get list of Wireless interfaces: <some weird
characters>" appears. I "OK" that away and try to start the capture
anyway, but the application crashes. Important note: I get the exact same
behaviour (apart from the plugin list) when I build using the original
code only.

2) Precompliled binary + my compiled DLL

When I start the binary, I get a "The specified module could not be
found." message. I have added the .manifest file and tried the "personal"
as well as the "system" plugin folders.

Extra info: Building 0.99.5 with MS Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition