Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] wireshark and wifi

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 07:18:55 +0200
On Fri, Apr 27, 2007 at 08:07:22AM +0200, Krekan wrote:
>     Hi all, I need an advice which type or what brand of wifi adapter to buy to use in wireshark. For normal sniffing normal adapter like I have in my notebook (broadcom811B/G) will do but from the moment I want to do something more sophisticated like put it in to monitor mode (required for example to crack wep keys it is impossible with that). And Airpcap adapter for $198 is quite unaffordable for me.
> Could you recommend some brand of PCMCIA or USB wifi ?

The fact that you are mentioning the airpcap adapter makes me assume
that you are using windows. If so, then what you are asking currently
isn't available. The airpcap adapter comes very cheap when comparing it
to the commercial sniffers, that provide drivers for existing other
cards (but not all cards are supported by those either).
So if you don't have the money to spend $199, then you will need to
replace it by time and learn how to use some other OS where there are
cheaper cards available for monitoring, e.g. Linux. There exist live
CDs to do something like that, so you won't even need to install Linux
but you obviously  will need to boot that live CD. Please see
http://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup for details and always feel free
to come back here with further questions.

 ciao
    Joerg