Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] capturing msn web cam traffic with wireshark.

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 18:40:35 -0700

On Apr 17, 2007, at 5:41 PM, Wonkyun*^^* Lee wrote:

I am trying to capture traffic using Msn messenger, espec. with web cam.

You're trying to capture traffic with a webcam? You mean by, for example, pointing a webcam at the screen while Wireshark is doing a live traffic capture, to display what Wireshark is showing? :-)

Or do you mean you're trying to capture network traffic being put onto the network by a webcam?

Is there any way that i can capture video codec, or video traffic?

some kind of frame rate or something..

I also tried with Skype, but i cannot find the way to do it..

You can capture *any* sort of network traffic with Wireshark.

Whether Wireshark can *dissect* that traffic, and show it as anything other than raw hex data, is another matter.

And, even if it can dissect it, it won't display it as video. Wireshark's a network analyzer, not a video player, although some dissectors might support saving the contents of a video stream within a capture in some video format, just as it can save some VoIP traffic in an audio format.

What *exactly* is it you're trying to do here?