Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] How to propose a new feature?

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 13:07:41 -0700
Michael Roth wrote:

I wanted to propose a programming API, e.g. a DLL version of tshark.exe
which you could load once and then call on a per frame basis to get data
decoded into memory buffered PDML or something like that.

There's already an API from libwiretap, which both Wireshark and TShark use to dissect packets - but it's currently not guaranteed to remain unchanged from release to release. If the API stabilizes, there's a good chance that it won't stabilize as the current API.

It dissects packets to yield a protocol tree.