Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Can This Be Done?

From: "Tennis Smith" <tennis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 13:39:29 -0700

Hi,

I have a wireshark pc with a 10/100 nic connected to a switch.  The port attached to the pc is getting data mirrored from a 1Gig port passing traffic.  So, in other words, the w/s pc is sniffing a port that could run as fast as 1gig (see below).

      1g           1g

PC1------Switch------PC2

            |(100mb)

         Wireshark

In my case, there isn’t any need to capture data.  I only want to measure traffic rates.

Can the wireshark pc accurately detect traffic rates on the PC1/PC2 connection when speed exceeds 100mb?

Thanks,

-Tennis