Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Mac OS X Help

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 11:48:19 -0800
Robert Craig wrote:
I have just installed wireshark on my intel duo MacBook using DarwinPorts.
It starts up fine (as root) but as soon as I click "List available capture interfaces..." my wireless disconnects and refuses to reconnect whilst wireshark is open.
Although it works fine for the wired network.

Any suggestions?

Try not using "List available capture interfaces" - capture on en0 for wired captures and en1 for wireless captures. Also, don't use the drop-down list to select an interface in the capture options window - just type en0 or en1. That might help.

This is a known problem - or, rather, a consequence of several known problems. Some can be fixed in libpcap (I'll look at that), some in Wireshark (I'll look at that - but those would also need the libpcap fix, meaning Apple would have to pick that fix up for the system libpcap or you'd have to somehow get a version of Wireshark built with a fixed version), and some in the driver for the wireless adapter (somebody in the group at Apple that does AirPort adapter software would have to look at that).