Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Questions regarding SMB

From: "Hila Sheftel" <hilasheftel@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 14:57:45 +0200
Hi,

I am trying to learn a bit about SMB. I sniffed the copying of a file from a shared folder in the LAN I belong to to my desktop. From some reason, the file was copied 3 times to my computer (3 Read AndX Responses), and the exact same process [NT Create AndX Request, NT Create AndX Response, Trans2 Request (SET_file_info), Trans2 Response (Set_file_info), Read AndX Request, Read AndX Response (containing the file Data), Close Request, Close Response] was repeated. It think it is not due to timeouts, because the responses were received before the following requests were sent. I have no idea why it happens, but it adds a lot of redundent traffic. Have any idea wat is the problem? Moreover, in the above process, my computer tries to SET_FILE_INFO. Why does it do so (SET info) if it only COPIES the file?

I attach the pcap file.

Thanks for your help,

Hila