Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Hubs vs Switches

From: "Usman Qureshi" <qureshi.usman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 19:34:20 -0400
I have a questions regarding ICMP packets traversing through Hubs and
Switches.  If connected on a Hub I ping the broadcast address
(192.168.0.255) from a host machine (192.168.0.100) I get a response
from the address 192.168.0.1 with destination address as
192.168.0.100.  How is this possible? I do not have machine with the
broadcast IP address.

On the other hand, when connected through a switch I do not get any
replies and only see request packets on Ethereal.

Also, please find the attached ethereal output