Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] RFD: Creating subdirectories in epan/dissectors/

From: Evan Huus <eapache@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 09:30:36 -0400
On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 9:23 AM, Roland Knall <rknall@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Would you like to enforce a value for the minimum number of subsequent
> files in the subdirectories?

I would assume you'd need 5 or 6 files at least to make a folder
worthwhile, but I don't think that's a hard rule. None of the groups
proposed for the initial run have less than 14.

> As I wrote the opensafety package, I would like to split it up a
> little bit to make it more maintainable, as well as include two new
> subdissectors, which use the openSAFETY protocol, but are not
> necessarily part of it.

For the subdissectors, it depends on how tightly they are bound to
opensafety. If they could theoretically be carried on other protocols
as well then they shouldn't be grouped with it, but if they are
restricted to opensafety (in the sense that they use some special
fields or features of opensafety and so actually couldn't be carried
on, say, TCP, without changing the protocol), then they can logically
be grouped with it. Again, probably not a hard rule, but a good
guideline.

Evan