Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] RFD: Creating subdirectories in epan/dissectors/

From: Anders Broman <a.broman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 01:28:09 +0200
Jeff Morriss skrev 2012-08-30 00:29:
Evan Huus wrote:
I'm not 100% convinced either way, but I have to admit I do like having all the dissectors in the same directory. "make -j 40" (on my 32-vCPU SPARC)
works better that way ;-).

I'm pretty sure an autotools-generated Makefile will already recurse
to fill the given job-count as long as there aren't any weird
dependencies in place, so it shouldn't make any difference. Can't
speak for cmake or windows builds.

Only if all the files are in one Makefile (e.g., epan/dissectors/Makefile). If each subdir has its own Makefile then each directory is processed one at a time (in my experience).

More seriously, I imagine I'd find it easier to
do:

vi epan/dissectors/packet-xmpp<tab><tab>

instead of:

vi

[1] insert grumpy remark here

Fair enough. So another tweak to the suggested naming:
packet-xmpp/xmpp-whatever.c

In fact taking your suggestion of removing "packet-" from all the file names would also achieve the same thing.

I'm not particularly fond of the idea - just being conservative perhaps; but how many subdirectories are acceptable before it gets out of hand - 1000, one for every protocol in WS or a smaller number ;-)
Jut my 2 Cents
Anders