Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] g_convert_with_iconv as ep_ or se_ function

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 09:21:17 -0700
On Aug 14, 2012, at 7:17 AM, mmann78@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Would it be possible to make g_convert_with_iconv an ep_ or se_ type function

All the protocol string encodings we intend to handle should be given ENC_ values in epan/proto.h and given implementations in tvb_get_ephemeral_string_enc() and tvb_get_ephemeral_stringz_enc(), which would let you get a UTF-8 ep_ string based on a packet string with any of those encodings, and would let proto_tree_add_item() support all of those encodings.

Whether that's implemented *internally to tvb_get_ephemeral_string_enc() and tvb_get_ephemeral_stringz_enc()* with g_convert_to_iconv() or something else is another matter.