Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] DeviceNet dissector

From: Hans-Jörgen Gunnarsson <Hag@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 11:57:54 +0000

Hello!

We are trying to develop a dissector for DeviceNet. We want it to work in Windows and have made some progress. We have constructed software that takes DeviceNet messages from the CAN-network through an IXXAT USB-to-CAN-dongle and transforms them to Ethernet where it can be picked up by Wireshark. Every message gets a special OUI that the dissector uses to pick them up.

For wireshark we have constructed a plugin that picks up the messages and partly decodes them. The problem is that it might be better to pick the DeviceNet-messages directly from the dongle into Wireshark. Perhaps through SocketCAN or something like that. That way we could pick it up, send it to the DeviceNet dissector, dissect what can be dissected and then add bodytype information and send it through to the CIP dissector.

We haven’t found a good way to do this though. Do you have any ideas or thoughts?

Thanks

Hans-Jörgen Gunnarsson