Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Kasumi code (Was: rev 44384: ... kasumi.h ...)

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 00:13:26 +0200
On Thu, Aug 09, 2012 at 09:49:31PM +0200, Jacob Nordgren wrote:
> The reason the code isnt included is because it seems like the actual
> algorithm is patented by Mitsubishi.
> This was our source for this:
> http://www.etsi.org/WebSite/OurServices/Algorithms/3gppalgorithms.aspx

I only see claims that this code is patented: Can anyone please provide
references to the actual patents? The reason why I keep asking this is that
looking at the patent(s) might give us a clue whether these patents actually
apply to wireshark - maybe they only apply to UMTS etc because of their
wording. E.g. in one case I have seen, the patent was limited to the sending
side.

> And as far as i can tell you need permission in order to implement it, but
> im not a lawyer.

No, you don't need a license to *implement* a patented algorithm, you need
a license to *use (run)* it.

> About the copyright part, we have our own implementation  (KASUMI and F8
> are fairly easy to implement), but the current svn code is adapted so that
> people can put ETSIs example code  or something else easily into wireshark
> themselves.

OK, that's good news. So the only thing left to do is to convince you
(as a placeholder for the people who get to make the decision) that my
argument above is correct and relevant :-/

Ciao
    Jörg