Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Skype protocol dissector

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2012 14:21:48 -0400
Joerg Mayer wrote:
Hallo Matthias,

On Thu, Aug 09, 2012 at 10:47:56AM +0200, Matthias Bock wrote:
there is a project at GitHub,
uncovering the protocol structure of Skype.
Currently only UDP is documented (there is also
a TCP component somehow).

https://github.com/matthiasbock/OpenSkype/wiki/Skype's-UDP-Format

Documentation is not completed, but quite far
and dissecting (and decrypting) pcap captures
using Python on the console already works.

The "next step" would be to implement a Wireshark
dissector for "SkypeUDP".

I have no idea, how to do this ...
Anybody here who would like to help me? ;-)

Sure. Will implement something this WE. I will not implement any type of
detection, i.e. you will have to click on a packet and then select "decode as",
but apart from that, this sounds like my sort of fun.

I went ahead and created a Skype page on the Wiki[1], mainly to keep track of this new link and an older white paper on the protocol. Of course if you make progress half the page will have to be rewritten, but that would be pretty short work ;-).

[1] http://wiki.wireshark.org/Skype