Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Capture File Archive

From: Jakub Zawadzki <darkjames-ws@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 19:29:17 +0200
On Wed, Aug 01, 2012 at 10:51:29AM +0200, Kurt Knochner wrote:

> ==> Guy Harris wrote:
>
> > I don't know whether pcapr.net accepts files that aren't in pcap (or
>
> I mentioned pcapr just as an example. I think it would be better to
> host that archive in the wireshark.org domain.

Why? There's already existing webservice which is offering what we need,
with existing community, why we should have our own?

> What about having a cloudshark system for wireshark, like
> cloud.wireshark.org? This could be used as a repository for the
> cpature file archive.

I really don't see the point, there's already one -- pcapr,
If cloudshark guys/ you want to create another one feel free.

Actually it should be already doable by cloudshark guys.
They have all infrastucture for doing it.
Just add checkbox when uploading: [This capture file is public and licensed under public domain]

> As I mentioned, the guys at cloudshark.org (presumably) offered to
> provide a cloudshark system to the wireshark dev team.

I don't see much sense if you're targeting wireshark dev team, at least
for me:

- Is cloudshark offering any backtrace in case tshark terminated?

- Is cloudshark offering coverage information of protocols fields?
  (pcapr does: http://www.pcapr.net/browse/fields)

- Can I search for specific protocol field (not only protocol)?
  (pcapr can: http://www.pcapr.net/browse?field=104apci.apdulen)

- Can I compare output of tshark version A and tshark version B?
  (regression testing)

- Can I edit capture files with cloudshark, or use it for fuzz testing?

Cloudshark also won't help much with bugs fixing (which is why these captures files are in BTS)

I need to download capture file, patch wireshark, recompile, test if it's working, commit.

And if we're talking about using it for BTS, primary question is:
  does cloudshark use any sandboxing mechanism?

If you're targeting wireshark community it's another matter.
But what's the point having cloudshark.wireshark.org and cloudshark.org
which offers exactly the same service?

Cheers,
 Jakub.