Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Warnings when loading preferences

From: Kurt Knochner <ws.dev.list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2012 15:55:44 +0200
would it make sense to add version sections to the preferences file? Parsing the preference file would a bit more work, but one could separate the modified preferences
in a proper way from each other.

Extra benefit: One could use the same preference file with different (older) versions of
Wireshark, without any problem (if such a feature get's backported).

Something like this:

<version: 1.6.0>
</version: 1.6.0>
<version: 1.8.0>
</version: 1.8.0>

Regards
Kurt

Hi.

After upgrading my local wireshark to latest trunk I get some warnings
from my preferences.
I suspect someone rewrote the preference format without handling /
converting old values?

The user should not loose the preferences when upgrading, just because
we changed the format.