Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Capture File Archive

From: Joe McEachern <joe@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 09:04:21 -0400
Hello Kurt,

The idea for having a CloudShark instance available to the Wireshark core team originally surfaced at Sharkfest. We would be happy to provide this. We'd also be happy to host it or it could live with other Wireshark resources. Our virtual appliance can run under a VM or be installed direct to hardware. We also have a hardware option we could explore. The easiest approach is running under a VM.

There are a number of work flow models that CloudShark supports. Without getting into all of this now, here are some things that would be possible.

 - set up individual CloudShark accounts for core Wireshark developers
 - set up a smaller group of CloudShark admins that can manage all aspects of CloudShark
 - capture files can be shared with groups or marked public to share with anyone
 - capture files uploads can be automated using a web API
 - tags can be used to organize captures

If someone from the core team wants to get a deeper understanding of what is possible with CloudShark, we could easily set up a hosted system and let you have a look around.

This is just an offer own our part. I am sure there will be lots of questions and the need to verify how this would work.

We are open to any suggestions on how to move forward.

--joe