Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Is Python Still Considered Optional for the Build Process? W

From: Pascal Quantin <pascal.quantin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 17:10:44 +0200

Le mardi 31 juillet 2012, Balint Reczey a écrit :
On 07/31/2012 09:59 AM, Pascal Quantin wrote:
Le 31 juil. 2012 à 09:43, Anders Broman <anders.broman@xxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:anders.broman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> a écrit :

Hi,
Others have to comment on whether we require python or not but it would be
nice if you attached your script to a bug report so we could have a look at it
and have a record of it. I think it should be OK to require python 2.6 as the
lowest supported level to make things simpler.
Best regards
Anders

Hi,
just for information the Linux development machine I have at work (Debian Lenny)
is still packaging python 2.5 by default (unfortunately). It would be great if
we could keep compatibility with older machines.

Regards,
Pascal.

Hi Pascal,

Lenny is oldstable and is not supported even by the Debian Project itself.
Please upgrade to Squeeze.

Cheers,
Balint

Hi Balint,

I would be happy to do so but the IT guys do not share my point of vue ;)
For what it is worth, projects like Mercurial SCM (written mostly in Python) are still maintaining compatibility with Python 2.4.

Regards,
Pascal.