Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Bug Expiry

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2012 17:29:17 +0200
On 05/03/2012 04:36 AM, Christopher Maynard wrote:
Evan Huus<eapache@...>  writes:

What's the accepted method in Wireshark bugzilla for expiring bugs? There are
a couple where the reporter was asked for more info (like a capture file to
reproduce with) and was never heard from again. Should they be marked invalid
after two weeks? Two months?Thanks,Evan

Accepted method?  In my experience, everything here is rather ad hoc so there
really isn't any formal accepted method to go by.  We just try to use our best
judgement and go from there.

Personally, I would typically not close a bug due to lack of response for a
period of only a month - more like 6 months to a year ... just in case.  I
sometimes get quite busy myself, and so I try to give people the benefit of the
doubt.  Of course I'm human, so sometimes I might get impatient though :).
Well, after some time has passed and at least one follow-up for the information
asked for, then I would be more inclined to close a bug due to lack of response.
  If the bug reporter really is interested in having the bug resolved, then s/he
can always reopen it, or if it's an annoying enough bug, then someone else will
report the same problem again.

Well, as I said, I think if you just use your best judgement, then that will
probably be good enough.

- Chris

Hi,

Not a 'set in stone' rule, but have a look in the Additional Information section of http://wiki.wireshark.org/ReportingBugs