Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] A more concise capture options dialog for 1.8

From: Michael Tuexen <Michael.Tuexen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 18:42:20 +0200
On Jul 16, 2012, at 4:35 PM, Bogdan Harjoc wrote:

> The multi-interface capture dialog introduced in 1.7 seems geared for heavy-duty use:
> - ability to select which interfaces to capture from
> - separate dialog for per-interface options
> - verbose info right in the main options dialog
> (see attached png's)
>
> But for people who don't spend their days inside wireshark, it may be a little less handy to use:
> - quickly typing a capture filter no longer possible
>    (for instance "tcp port 80" for all interfaces)
> - interface list requires scrolling if vmware/virtualbox/... interfaces are available
> - increased height of dialog window
When thinking about the GUI, we thought about (at least some) of your ideas.
I'm open to reconsider the decisions...

> I'd like to bring a few of the dialog's pre-1.7 capabilities into the current version:
> - bring back the global capture filter
> - make the interface list more concise:
>   * IP addresses as separate field
The reason not to do this was to limit the width of the column. Some interfaces have
lots of addresses... And there where users who want base the selection on the
addresses and not on the name...
>   * remove buffer sizes, use checkbox for promiscuous mode
We wanted to show a summary of the settings. Maybe the columns could be made
configurable, such you can defined, which one you want to see.
>   * capture on all interfaces, using shift+click on 1st field's checkbox
Is this described in the human interface guidelines for GTK?
>   * same for capturing all in promiscuous mode
Same question...

> I know I should have discussed this before 1.8.0, but I only started using 1.8 after the final release. I am posting this to ask whether (some of) these changes would be welcome, or it's just me and everyone finds the new options dialog better.
You might want to try a developer build once in a while.... The GUI was actually refined
based on feedback we got. And it is much better now than it was when committed first.

Best regards
Michael