Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Infrastructure for plugins (including Lua-based ones) to add

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 14:36:59 -0700
On Jul 12, 2012, at 12:30 AM, Tony Trinh wrote:

> The common goal for these approaches seem to be the separation of each plugin's menus.

I'm not convinced that there should be a distinction between built-in and plugin taps here.

A tap whould get a single menu item in some menu (top-level, such as, for example, Analyze, Statistics, or Telephony, or submenu, such as Statistics -> Service Response Time).

A plugin - or a chunk of builtin code - could conceivably add multiple taps.  They should be put into the menus based on what they do, not based on whether they all happen to be in the same chunk of code, or whether that code was supplied as part of Wireshark or not.