Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Infrastructure for plugins (including Lua-based ones) to add

From: Tony Trinh <tony19@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 10:46:50 -0400
On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 9:36 AM, Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> 2. A single menu for plugins, with each plugin getting its own section.
>>

> Hmm. I don't understand the advantage of this approach over the current
> solution. Can you clarify with an example?

My thought here is that after you have installed a few plugins, you
will have to hunt around for which menu they have installed themselves
in.

If there was a separate plugins menu, it would be obvious :-)

Ok, I see what you mean now. :) That seems like an issue that is solved by user-friendly menu design (i.e., designing the menu names and hierarchy such that the user can intuitively find them), plugin documentation, and/or convention.

But I'm with you...I agree a top-level Plugins menu that automatically groups the menus of plugins (upon plugin request or a preference setting) could help mitigate the menu-hunting problem.