Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Exposing KRB5 value_strings to other dissectors ...

From: Bill Meier <wmeier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2012 11:36:04 -0400
On 7/3/2012 11:22 AM, Stephen Fisher wrote:

---- On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 08:45:46 -0600 Richard Sharpe  wrote ----

There are protocols that specify the use of KRB5 specified values.
Eg, NegoEx specifies RFC3961 strings.

Rather than simply re-entering these values it would be useful to
reuse the existing value_string variables, but they are static ...

Move them to a separate header file (without the static identifier)
and include that in each dissector source file.  Take a look at
packet-x11-keysym.h for an example of sharing a value string, which
is used by packet-x11.c and packet-vnc.c.

Uh, I'm not a fan of this approach (putting value strings in .h files) since that ends up with multiple instances of the same array in the executable. :)

In fact, I've been fixing such instances as I encounter them.

Am I missing something ?

My tendency would be to change the change the usage of the value-string array defined in packet-x11-keysym.

Bill