Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] rev 40518: /trunk/ /trunk/epan/: plugins

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 21:01:59 -0800
On 1/15/12 3:05 PM, Guy Harris wrote:

> On Jan 15, 2012, at 1:59 PM, jmayer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/viewvc/viewvc.cgi?view=rev&revision=40518
>>
>> User: jmayer
>> Date: 2012/01/15 01:59 PM
>>
>> Log:
>> Move gtk to ui/gtk.
>
> Should those files in the top-level images directory that are only used by UI code be moved a ui/images directory?

Probably.

> A quick scan of the source finds a bunch of includes of XPM files from ui/gtk/*.c files; I'm guessing that they - the .xpm files - would only be used by UI code, making them candidates to be moved.

N. B. Moving forward I'd prefer to migrate away from XPM to formats with
better alpha transparency support.

> I'm not sure where the .png files are used - are they used as source to generate files such as ui/gtk/expert_indicators.h?  If so, they'd be candidates as well.  (And, if so, what tool is used to generate them?)
>
> The same applies for expert_indicators.svg.

expert_indicators.h is generated from expert*.png using
gdk-pixbuf-csource. The .png files were exported manually from
expert_indicators.svg.

> Should anything used only by packaging/installer tools be put into packaging/images or, if they're specific to a particular package type/installer, an images subdirectory or the top-level directory for that packaging/installer tool?

Sounds reasonable. It might help make things more obvious for downstream
packagers.