Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Question regarding QT/future Wireshark version

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 11:46:07 -0800
On Jan 13, 2012, at 2:06 AM, Andreas Sikkema wrote:

> Since getting back into Wireshark development I have this itch somewhere
> int he back of my head to create a proper OS X version of Wireshark, but
> have shied away from the amount of work involved ;-)

A Qt version would probably be "good enough" if, for example, Google Earth is considered "good enough", as Google Earth uses Qt (on, I presume, Windows and Linux+X11 as well as on Mac OS X, as I'm guessing they're using it because it's cross-platform).  (If not, I wouldn't recommend making a full-blown GUI abstraction layer of our own, unless we can do better than wxWidgets.)

The *big* pain for a proper OS X version of Wireshark would be supporting multiple open capture files and multiple live captures all being handled by a single process.  That means getting rid of all the global variables in dissectors - which would be a good thing to do, but a lot of work.