Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Debugging on Windows

From: Bill Meier <wmeier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 11:12:07 -0500
On 11/12/2011 6:59 AM, Andreas Sikkema wrote:
Hi,

After being away for close to 10 years I finally have a need for a new
protocol dissector so I started developing again. I've got one working,
but since I don't have access to Visual Studio anymore, I downloaded the
Express version. I'm assuming Microsoft thinks its debugger is secret
sauce, are there any alternatives?

The debugger with VC EE works just fine; I use it all the time.

After building Wireshark in the usual manner, just start VC and do File ! Open ! Project/Solution on the wireshark exe (in ...\wireshark-gtk2 and you'll have symbols and everything).

(Note: Wireshark builds with VC2008 but VC2010 should also be OK).

Bill