Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] rev 39775: /trunk/ /trunk/: CMakeLists.t

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 07:58:45 +0100
On Wed, 9 Nov 2011 23:58:13 +0100, Michael Tüxen wrote:
On Nov 9, 2011, at 10:30 PM, Guy Harris wrote:

On Nov 9, 2011, at 1:09 PM, Bill Meier wrote:

Any reason not to remove all the 'if (use_threads)' tests (just leaving the threads branches of the code) ??

I think the threading code was introduced by Michael Tuexen and Irene Rüngeler - Michael? It appears that
Correct: When capturing from multiple interfaces, threads are used by
default.
capturing on multiple interfaces simultaneously requires threads, so the question is whether there's any disadvantage to using a capture thread if you're only capturing on one interface.
Well, when using a single interface, not using threads keeps the old
behavior. Using
threads showed some improvements in our testing, but I preferred to
not change the
default... Maybe we should do some more testing and decide if we want
to change the
default before 1.8 gets released.

That's what we should put out in 1.7.1 then...

Thanks,
Jaap