Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Is "tcp.len < -1" a valid display filter?

From: Stig Bjørlykke <stig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 19:45:20 +0200
On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 7:06 PM, Stephen Fisher
<steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 09:00:59AM +0200, Stig Bjørlykke wrote:
>> The previously attached patch does check for signed/unsigned issues,
>> and will mark the filter as bad/red. I think it would be nice to check
>> all values if they are valid for the given field.
>
> Good idea.  I wonder how much work that would be... never thought of
> that.

It's pretty simple to do in ftype-integer.c (I already have the code),
but we will get an error message from mk_fvalue_from_val_string()
stating that "<hfinfo->abbrev> cannot accept strings as values"
because we indicate an error when converting the value.  I'm not sure
how we can avoid this yet.

The checks will introduce more conversions from string to integer, but
that may not be an issue?

--
Stig Bjørlykke