Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Send info to plugin

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2011 13:25:46 -0700
On Oct 7, 2011, at 2:27 AM, fab12@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Typically a filename + Directory where the the plugin dissector would
> write some statistic information.

If those are statistics about the protocol, that sort of work is best done in a tap, rather than a dissector; dissectors should just dissect packet data and put items corresponding to packet fields into the protocol tree and possibly attach "expert info" items to it as a result of further analysis.  You can have plugin taps, just as you can have plugin dissectors.

A tap for Wireshark can put up a GUI.