Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Send info to plugin

From: Martin Kaiser <lists@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2011 13:40:53 +0200
Thus wrote Guy Harris (guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx):

> We should probably also add a notion of "conversations" available to
> dissectors at multiple layers (a notion more general than the current
> address-and-port-endpoint-pair notion, that can include multiple
> address layers, "circuits" for protocols that have a virtual circuit
> ID of some sort, and conversations at layers above the transport
> layer)

that would definitely be helpful.

As far as I can see, DVB-CI is an example that does not fit into the
current mechanism very well. CI is not based on tcp/ip, a ci session
looks like

open_session_request(resource_id)
session_opened(newly assigned session number)

payload transfer(session_number, payload data)

close session(session_number)

For now, how would you create a conversation from this? I've been
playing with a new port_type PT_DVBCI_SESSION_NUMBER and set both source
and destination port to the session number. Does that make sense or is
there a better approach?

Thanks,

   Martin