Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Send info to plugin

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2011 02:04:03 -0700
On Oct 7, 2011, at 1:19 AM, fab12@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Is there any way to send some information to a plugin dissector from the
> wireshark GUI interface?

What sort of information?

> For instance using a wireshark menu to set some variable that will be
> accessible from the plugin.

As Anders suggested, you *can* give it global information through a preference setting.

We should probably also add a notion of "conversations" available to dissectors at multiple layers (a notion more general than the current address-and-port-endpoint-pair notion, that can include multiple address layers, "circuits" for protocols that have a virtual circuit ID of some sort, and conversations at layers above the transport layer), and per-"conversation" settings as well, with Wireshark offering a GUI to let you select a conversation and set one or more of a set of dissector-specified parameters.

> Or maybe it is possible to add a menu from the plugin?

A menu item to do what?