Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] why wireshark plugin does not work here - dissector_add_uint

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 10:43:21 -0700
On Aug 17, 2011, at 10:37 AM, John x wrote:

> I am working on wireshark 1.7.0 (SVN from /trunk), so the ".so" file generated from "1.7.0" cannot be used on version "1.6.*" as wireshark plugin?

It might work, but it's not guaranteed to work.  We make no claim that, when 1.8.0 comes out (1.7.x is a development-only version number; when we release the result of that development, the first version will be called 1.8.0), plugins built for it will work on any older version, and they probably won't work.

They *definitely* won't work on 1.4.4, however, and that appears to be what you're trying to do: