Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] GVCP Dissector

From: Mat Gara <mat.gara@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 11:04:30 -0700

Hi,

We are working with the GigE Vision standards committee to develop a wireshark plugin that will dissect the GVCP protocol.  At this point we have a plugin that works and we would like to check it into official wireshark repositories.  Currently there is an incomplete GVCP dissector that is part of wireshark and we would like to replace it.  How would we go about doing this?

Additionally in the future we want to make this dissector easily configurable so that hardware providers could add support for dissecting their custom register reads.  To do this we want to make use of XML configuration files and hence we would need to make use of an XML parser in this dissector.  One xml parser we have been experimenting with is Expat.  What would it take to integrate Expat support into wireshark?

Thanks,

-Mat