Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Rev 38350 Capture Options Changes - Named Pipe?

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 15:30:18 -0700
On Aug 12, 2011, at 12:06 AM, Joerg Mayer wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 07:41:25PM -0700, Guy Harris wrote:
>
>> Actually, in that case, if Wireshark is using libpcap 1.1.0 or later, selecting wlan0 and checking the monitor mode checkbox should cause Wireshark to tell libpcap to do all that for you (by telling it to capture in monitor mode).
>
> I'm running libpcap version 1.3.0-PRE-GIT_2011_07_06 (including the remote pcap
> patch).

So does checking the monitor mode checkbox for wlan0 cause Wireshark to capture in monitor mode (without having to add a mon0 interface manually)?  If not, that's a bug, either in libpcap or in Wireshark (or both).

> OK, that was easy to misunderstand:
> If I'm on wlan0 I normally have my eth0 admin down. In order to capture on eth0
> I need to ifconfig eth0 up first. I'd like to see the Interface listed and then
> have libpcap do the ifconifg <int> up for me.

Hmm.  I'm not sure all users of libpcap or libpcap-based programs would want attempts to capture on a non-up interface to bring the interface up, so that might have to be an option.