Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Feature Request - Comments attached to a packet

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 11:24:55 -0700
On Aug 11, 2011, at 11:16 AM, Tyson Key wrote:

> Whilst no-one's looking into implementing support for attaching comments to packets (as far as I'm aware); someone recently wrote a patch to enable reading comments from pcap-ng/NTAR files, and attached it to bug #6229.

Actually, that bug sounds more like "if a packet has a comment attached to it, Wireshark won't even read the packet data correctly"; the fix doesn't cause Wireshark to process the comment, it just causes it not to screw up if a packet *has* a comment.  I.e., we need to fix this before we even consider allowing comments to be added to packets, and should backport the fix to the 1.6 and 1.4 branches (that might still leave older versions of Wireshark incapable of reading pcap-ng files with comments attached to them).