Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Compiling Wireshark for Win32

From: "news.gmane.com" <AndreasSander1@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 11:28:59 +0200
"Stig Bj�rlykke" <stig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
message
news:CANoXo1QNRsjQq39xqEYW+W3vNib0OxV5bJCbZ0H15CJKuBnGZw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx...
>> I am a bit surprised about a problem with compiling Wireshark 1.6.0 with
>> Visual Studio 2005 for Win32.

> Why do you build 1.6.0 when we have released 1.6.1?
> The issues you have are fixed in 1.6.1.

I don't want to build 1.6.x at all. I want to upgrade all my dissectors for
propriary protocols to Wireshark 1.6. Since there are no PDB files for 1.6.0
(found only for 1.7 at http://www.wireshark.org/download/automated/win32/)
and no import library files I need compile Wireshark with all that CygWin,
Python, ... installation.

Since the ABI should not change in the "stable branch" I should be able to
compile to any version as long as I only need a set of files to build a
dissector DLL and to debug the DLL in Wireshark.

*All I need is:*
- libwireshark.lib
- all PDB files
- all header files (these can be retrieved using SVN)

Should I expect that Wireshark source doesn't get through the supported
compiler? I know that there are bugs in any software, but usually a change
in the last part of the version number indicates a bugfix in the
implementation.

Okay, I follow your suggestiong, compiling 1.6.1....

Linking libwireshark.dll
 link /INCREMENTAL:NO /NOLOGO .........
 Creating library libwireshark.lib and object libwireshark.exp
GeoIP.lib(GeoIP.obj) : fatal error LNK1103: debugging information corrupt;
recompile module

BTW: The GeoIP-1.4.6-win32ws.zip has been downloaded during this try of
build.

--
Andy