Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Rev 38350 Capture Options Changes - Named Pipe?

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 13:44:11 -0700
On Aug 10, 2011, at 1:33 PM, Michael Tüxen wrote:

> Use the command line options... There is currently no way to specify a named
> pipe in the GUI. I think there was no way to do this in Wireshark 1.6, or
> am I missing something?

The general convention in Wireshark-the-project (i.e., Wireshark, TShark, and dumpcap) is that if the "network interface" you specify isn't a network interface (i.e., an attempt to open it with libpcap fails), and it's a named pipe, it's opened as a pipe connected to a program writing a pcap (or pcap-ng?) capture file.

I.e., in the GUI, you'd specify it by, for example, giving "/tmp/pipe" (or whatever the named pipe path is) as the name of the "network interface" from which to capture in the Capture Options dialog.