Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] rev 38350: /trunk/ /trunk/gtk/: capture_

From: Stig Bjørlykke <stig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2011 23:00:56 +0200
On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 11:05 PM, Michael Tuexen
<Michael.Tuexen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> thank you... Comments are really welcome.

The easiest part is to report the bugs :)

>> * Multiple IP addresses should be separated with comma in the "Edit
>> Interfaces Settings" window, I think.
> Need to see how this haves with a lot of addresses.

If not separated by comma I think we should align the addresses below
each other.  Right now they are aligned with "Interface:" and "IP
address".

>> * Should we use only one line in headings used in the interface list?
>> This to save space for more interfaces in the list.
> I wanted to see all IP-addresses, but showing only one line would save
> space. Not sure.

I was thinking about the headers, not the entries.  Shorten the
heading names and adding tooltips could be a solution.

>> * The "Wireless Settings" button is not always enabled for my AirPcap
>> device, and is sometimes enabled for my Ethernet device.
> We don't have AirPcap devices and that support is most likely broken.

I can have a look at the code changes.

>> And something not related to this:
>> * My AirPcap device lists "unknown" as IP address.  Should this simply
>> be removed?  Do we know if devices don't have an IP address?
> Not sure. Maybe not showing unknown is the same as showing no addresses.

I think we should not show anything if we know the device has no IP
address, but I don't know if we know.

>> * "Capture packets in monitor mode" is enabled for devices not supporting this.
> If there is a way to figure out if it is supported, we should handle that correctly,
> I agree.

The old code used to work.  While looking at the new code I find
something which makes me think something is obvious broken:

   row.monitor_mode = caps->can_set_rfmon;

row.monitor_mode is true if monitor mode is turned on.
caps->can_set_rfmon is true if the interface supports monitor mode.

>> * When manually selecting all interfaces in the list, should the
>> checkbox "Capture on all interfaces" be automatically checked?
> Hmm. Not sure. Does this help? This would required counting. But it
> could be done.

It would be more user friendly, as it leads to an inconsistent state.

>> * I get wrong link-layer for some of my remote (rpcap) devices.  This
>> used to work before.
> Hmm. This needs to be fixed. Can you provide some hints what is going
> wrong? We haven't seen this in our testing.

I'm starting rpcapd on the same machine and use 'localhost' as host.
I'll have a closer look to see if I can find more clues.

And I have some more issues:
* The welcome page is not refreshed after change in interface options
preferences (changing description etc.)
* The "Start" button is sometimes disabled even when selected an
interface, and sometimes enabled even when no interfaces are selected.
 Try this to observe the issue: Select "Capture Options" from the
welcome page, turn on "Capture on all interfaces" and turn off
"Capture on all interfaces" again, then select capture for a simple
interface.
* "Capture all in promiscuous mode" can be checked even if not all
interfaces have this.  The checkbox should be un-toggled.
* Tooltips for ok button in "Edit Interfaces Settings" is wrong, it
does not start a capture process.

--
Stig Bjørlykke