Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Custom dissector and info column issue

From: Chris Miller <oily.rag@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 22:36:14 +0100
Hi,

I have come across an issue whilst attempting to write a custom dissector for the XCP protocol.  The protocol sits on top of TCP and I am using the tcp_dissect_pdus function to handle the reassembly of TCP packets to allow successful dissecting of my PDUs.

The protocol includes a packet counter and I am adding these packet numbers to the info column.  Everything works as expected except when a packet has been reassembled.  In this case I only get the first packet number added to the info column but the detailed information is still added as expected.  The screenshot at the URL below illustrates the problem.

I should note that adding the packet numbers to the info column was not initially my intention.  I was attempting to debug a sequence check in my code.  This sequence check had a similar problem in that reassembled TCP packets would fail the sequence check becuase I was comparing against the first packet number rather than the subsequent packets.

This issue is a continuation of the forum thread below.  It was sugested to add it to the mailing list for some further assistance.

I have uploaded the source code, build files, dll and an example log file extract to the following online storage repository.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Chris