Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] mix of c and C++

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 13:59:01 -0400
Guy Harris wrote:
On Jul 27, 2011, at 10:20 AM, Jeff Morriss wrote:

Stephen Fisher wrote:
On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 08:23:51AM +0200, Helge Kruse wrote:
@all: What is the sense behind the HAVE_CONFIG_H if I need it anyway?
config.h is only used on Unix, so only Unix builds need to include it.  Things like HAVE_LIBPCAP are defined in there according to the configure script's results, which various Wireshark source files can use to include/exclude code specific to certain optional features such as libpcap or adns/libsmi/c-ares/etc.
Hmmm, Windows uses it too: the used version is built from the source-controlled "config.h.win32" file.

I think he's asking about HAVE_CONFIG_H, not config.h, the question being "if Wireshark won't build correctly without the stuff config.h defines, what's the point in checking whether we have config.h with "#ifdef HAVE_CONFIG_H"?"  I.e., why not just do

	#include "config.h"

rather than

	#ifdef HAVE_CONFIG_H
	#include "config.h"
	#endif

Yes, agreed. And it appears that we always have config.h so Helge has a point.