Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] rev 38106: /trunk/epan/dissectors/ /trun

From: Anders Broman <a.broman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 00:10:38 +0200
Maynard, Chris skrev 2011-07-22 23:23:

My only problem with ENC_NA is that it is defined exactly the same as ENC_BIG_ENDIAN.  If you use ENC_NA in little-endian protocols, it is inevitable that “copy-and-paste” will occur at some point and then these endian bugs will start popping up because an ENC_NA was used where an ENC_LITTLE_ENDIAN should have been.

If ENC_NA was defined differently from ENC_BIG_ENDIAN, and if checks were made to be sure only valid ENC_*’s were passed to the proto_tree_add_xyz() functions for the particular FT_* field type, then I think it would make more sense (to me at least).  Right now, I still prefer to use ENC_LITTLE_ENDIAN throughout a little-endian protocol and ENC_BIG_ENDIAN throughout a big-endian protocol because it does no harm to do it and helps avoid future “copy-and-paste” bugs.  I just don’t see any particular advantage with using ENC_NA right now.  (Note that I only say that’s my personal preference; there seem to be more folks preferring ENC_NA, so I will use it too, I guess.)

+1 :-)
Anders