Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Gtk-Critical messages when dumpcap has insufficient privileg

From: Michael Tüxen <Michael.Tuexen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 21:28:23 +0200
On Jul 20, 2011, at 8:41 PM, Joerg Mayer wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 07:39:32PM +0200, Joerg Mayer wrote:
>> I am seeing Gtk-CRITICAL messages, but only if dumpcap has insufficient
>> privileges to capture/list interfaces (see below). I hope that this is
>> not a side effect of my changes :-/ How can one go to locate the source
>> of such a problem (in this case it's hopefully somewhere where the
>> interfacelist should be displayed)?
>
>> jmayer@egg:~/work/wireshark/svn> wireshark
>>
>> (wireshark:5643): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_tree_view_get_model: assertion `GTK_IS_TREE_VIEW (tree_view)' failed
>>
>> (wireshark:5643): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_tree_view_get_selection: assertion `GTK_IS_TREE_VIEW (tree_view)' failed
>>
>> (wireshark:5643): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_tree_model_foreach: assertion `GTK_IS_TREE_MODEL (model)' failed
>>
>> (wireshark:5643): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_grab_focus: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed
>
> I located it to happen inside main_welcome.c, function select_ifaces(),
> where the value of  global_capture_opts.ifaces->len is 1 (and where the
> code seems to assume that it should be 0 if there a no interfaces.
Irene can take a look at this tomorrow . I guess you have a preferred capture
interface, right? We put this interface on the ifaces list, since
it is equivalent to specifying it on the command line.
The same problem should occur when you specify interfaces on the command
line. So ifaces is set correctly (at least as intended), I think the
condition is wrong.

Best regards
Michael